Monday, July 2, 2012

Good Times


So I’m getting ready to leave Austria soon. Crazyyy. But I was thinking the other day about something that’s changed about me since I’ve been here. Being in this place, where I don’t know anybody and nobody knows me, I am free to do whatever I want. I can do things that people would scoff at, and I could care less. I love this! I have a couple of examples:

1.     Brushing my teeth in a yogurt cup:
So last week I was traveling from Germany back to Austria. It was a long day of travel, from about 9 am to 10:30 at night. I had brushed my teeth around 6 am. I’m kind of weird about brushing my teeth, and usually do it a lot of times per day. So needless to say, by around 5:30 or so, that horrible feeling on your teeth when you just have to brush them was really kicking in. So I’m sitting at the train station in Vienna after landing there, and have to wait about two hours for the next train to Graz. I’m sitting on a bench, and I finish eating my yogurt, when I decide to brush my teeth. I pull out my toothbrush from my suitcase, use my water bottle to put a tiny drop of water on top of the toothpaste, and brush away, right on the bench. A few people were looking at me with confused faces, but I didn’t care one bit. It felt great, my teeth were happy. I spit the toothpaste out in the yogurt cup, and threw it away. Nobody knows me. Why not brush my teeth on the bench and spit into a yogurt cup?

2.     Wearing jeans and running shoes:
In my normal state of mind, this is an automatic no-no. You can’t wear skinny jeans with running shoes. No way. But when you’re traveling with Ryan Air, the budget airline has a ridiculous weight limit for your bag. You can’t check a bag, and your one carry on has to fit in the little box and be less than ten kilograms. So in order to make my bag small enough, I have to wear a lot of clothes. I’m used to it now, and it’s just part of the deal. You put on three or four shirts, your heaviest pants, two or three pairs of socks, a jacket and a coat, and you wear your biggest heaviest shoes. I must have looked like a lunatic in the airport the last time, wearing a black zip-up with a brown leather jacket over it, jeans, and dirty, muddy running shoes. But who’s going to see me at the airport? Who cares what the security guards think? Nobody knows me. My bag is within the limit, and I’m on my way to my next destination without paying a fee.

3.     Sleeping on a bench on the roof:
So I moved out of Haffy on Saturday, and have been staying in Leechgasse with Carmen for a few days. But it’s so hot at her dorm. There is no air conditioning, and she lives on the top floor. So the heat from the roof makes the top floor feel like a sauna. The window in her room is right next to a tree, so a lot of bugs come in if you open the window. It’s a tough decision, do you want some air flow at the expense of bugs in the room?  So lately, we’ve been choosing to go for the bug-free but steaming hot room. I was trying to sleep, but was laying there in a sports bra and shorts, just sweating. Around 3 am, I decided to go up on the roof and sleep for a few hours there. I brought with me a blanket and a towel. On the roof, there’s a bench next to a table. On the table were a bunch of empty beer cans and bottles, but I didn’t think it really mattered. I was tired, and didn’t care. I layed my blanket down on the bench, and rolled up the towel to make myself a pillow. With the wind, it’s a lot cooler outside than in, and I could sleep for a bit. I woke up around 8:30, with the sun shining on my face, and a couple of people sitting in the chairs close to me. I can only imagine what they thought of me: a girl sleeping alone on a bench on the roof, next to a million empty beer cans. I’m sure they thought I’d been crazy drunk and passed out. But who cares what they think? They don’t know me. I managed to get a few hours of sleep. They’ll probably never know that my favorite drinks lately are water and multivitamin fruit juice.  

Good times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment