Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Psalm 19


Psalm 19 

-Psalm 19 is a song hailing the revelation of God:
            1.through nature
            2. through His Word
            3. to man’s innermost self

-1. Through Nature: 
-“heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands”
                        -His creation DECLARES His glory!
            -Rom 1:20 “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities- his eternal power and divine nature- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse”
            -Heb 1:3  “The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word.  After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.”

2. Through His Word
            -v. 7-9 “His law, statutes, precepts, commands”
            -what the Sun is to the earth, is what the word of God is to us…. It brings us warmth and light in the morning, and rest and peace at night… it sustains us, it gives us life…

3.  To man’s innermost self
            -v. 14 “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my HEART be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer”

à We should absolutely LOVE God’s Word
           
Ps 19:13 “Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression.”

            -willful sins are either on purpose or driven by pride
            -“blamelessness” is walking in freedom from willful sin
            -addictions are “dominion sin,” they have power to rule over us
                        -Ps 119:133 “let no sin rule over me…”
            -“they may not rule over me”
-rule comes from the Hebrew term masal, which means “to rule, reign, govern, have dominion, manage”

            -Ps 139:1-3 “You have searched me and You know me…”
-God knows our innermost secrets, the depths of our hearts, we can’t hide anything from Him, we must repent
-2 Thess 2:7  our deep secrets, the Enemy loves that, he is working all over that darkness, our little secrets that we’re not willing to confess provide the Enemy with so much to work with!

-James 5:16 “confess your sins to each other and pray for each other…” 
            -this shows the importance of accountability in our lives… we’re supposed to confess sin to fellow believers, so that they can be praying for us, and so that they can see when we might be falling into sin by knowing what we tend to struggle with… God made us to be reliant on other people, we’re supposed to help each other…


-“Consider meditation as the musical soliloquy sung in our hearts”
            -OK, this part is really cool!  Music is so powerful.  We get songs stuck in our heads.  We memorize lyrics really easily.  You probably know thousands of song lyrics without every trying to memorize them.  Music empowers us to feel different emotions.  I have different playlists that I choose, and they make me feel different ways.  Certain songs make me happy, sad, pumped up, excited, etc…
            -Our thoughts, the “meditation of our hearts,” are like God’s playlists.  It’s what He listens to!  When we are living lives of worship to Him, it’s like we’re singing hymns to Him.  He hears them!  This isn’t just in musical worship.  Our LIVES are worship.  If I’m playing in a soccer game, and see the beauty of God in the families around me, or the way my teammates encourage one another, the meditation of my heart can by a beautiful hymn that God is listening to!  But when we are scorning Him through our thoughts and motives, He has to listen to that too.  When I curse at the referee in my head when I think he makes an unfair call, yep- God has to listen to that too. 
            à  Let our lives play beautiful music for the ears of our loving God!

(Notes taken from a study on David, by Beth Moore)

No comments:

Post a Comment