Saturday, February 4, 2012

Austria Day 3

Well, its 10:15 am, day 3.  It´´s sure been interesting being here so far!  The city is beautiful.  Yesterday we walked around and explored a little bit.  The streets are narrow and the buildings are tall with lots of architecture.  Everything looks so old and beautiful.  We walked to the city center, and there were guys playing the accordian on the streets, vendors selling food (lots of them are Turkish), lots of cute little shops.  There aren´t any huge stores like we have- no Walmart or Target or place you can get everything, they´re all individually owned shops and such.  We wandered around trying to find stores to buy some of the basics that we needed.  The first night I didnt have bedding yet, and slept with a sheet and a towel and all of my sweatshirts and warm pants, and used a rolled up coat for a pillow (but at least I had George!), so we were definitely wanting to find somewhere to buy a  pillow and blanket.  Me and Stina only have one towel for the both of us, so we were wanting to find a place to buy a towel and washcloth, but didnt have any luck.  I bought a small pillow and a little blanket from a place that reminded me of World Market, but last night I was freezing so I guess I´m gonna have to buck up and buy a nicer blanket!  We stumbled upon a huge Catholic cathedral, and decided to go inside.  It was built in the 1700´s, and is so intricate and beautiful.  I was amazed as we walked around inside!  I will have to put up pictures later, but I cant until I get internet use on my laptop.  For now, we ´just have a public computer lab with computers that are veryyy slow.  It has been good for teaching me patience though!  It took me forever to sign onto the internet to post this!  But at least we have access.  :)  We walked around further, and my Austrian buddy, Sophie, helped us get phones.  We bought the cheapest go phones we could find, from a company called bob.  The phone has two choices for volume: on or off.  It has one ringtone, so that helps make the choice prettz easy.  It costs 6 cents per text message or minute of talking, so gotta be choosy who ya talk to!  Ive noticed that the people here are rarely on their phones.  You definitely dont see anyone talking on the phone as they walk down the street, or texting while theyre with other people. I was told that it is rude to be spending time with someone while texting other people. This makes sense, but is so different from the US where everyone is attached to their phone at all times.  Few people have cars.  Tons of people bike, even in this freezing cold.  They bundle up and use the bike paths.  The buses and trains are very clean and very nice.  Some of the drivers speak English, but not many, so thats a little tough.  Ive been getting by without knowing German because of Sophie, who has helped me out so much!  Definitely trying to learn it though!  Last night I ordered my food in German for the first time.  The waitress laughed but understood me, yayy!!  I was so proud, hahaa... I ordered a plate of mixed vegetables, sheep cheese, potatoes, and egg.  It was actually very good!  So far I have really liked the food here, just sometimes dont know what anything on the menu is.  I try to be sneaky using my german english dictionary... kinda hide it under the table, ya know.  Campus is absolutely beautiful.  The school buildings are white stone, and have beautiful windows. Along the streets near campus are lots of coffeeshops and cafes that students often go to.  I got my first stamp on the punch card for the coffeeshop yesterday- so good!  Austrians love their coffee.  They meet up and go to coffeeshops about once a day Sophie told me.  It is very person to person here.  I like it.  Day 3 and doing well!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment