Sunday, February 5, 2012

AUSTRIA Day 4

Sunday night.
Well things are going really well so far!  It definitely is still an adjustment, but Im getting more and more used to it.  There are three Austrians who live on my floor who are amazing!  Robert and I have become good friends.  He helps me out with a lot of things, and translates everything for me when hes with me.  Hes also teaching me German.  I´ve found that if you try to speak German, the people are very appreciative!

This morning, I walked about two miles to go to the only Protestant church that anyone had heard of in Graz.  There are many Catholic churches, as most people would say they are Catholic though they do not practice any sort of religion.  I havent met a single person that goes to church.  It was a freezing walk through the snow and ice, but I made it just as the welcome bells were ringing.  The service was very traditional and formal.  I couldnt understand anything, but followed along the best I could and stood up and sat down when everyone else did.  When they took communion, there were two separate groups.  The first group had a lot of people in it, and the second was small, maybe 10-12 people.  I dont know what the difference between the groups was.  It was confusing to me, but I didnt take it because I was too nervous and didnt know what to do.

A girl I met, Shelby, came with me.  She is an exchange student as well, who practices a mix of many religions.  She is kind of unitarian, has a parent who is catholic, goes to synagogue because she has many Jewish friends, sometimes goes to a Buddhist temple because she enjoys meditation, but usually doesnt go to anything.  She said she´ll sometimes spend quiet time by herself while canoeing back home, and that is kind of like her church for the week because she spends time thinking about things.  Shes a stand up comedian in Louisiana with so much personality.  We went and got coffee together after the church service.  Coffee shops are pretty much the only thing open here on Sundays, almost everything is closed. I like that.  It helps remind me that Sunday is truly the Sabbath. 

Later on, Robert took us to a nearby forest with hiking trails.  There was a frozen pond, with lots of people ice skating, and little boys playing ice hockey.  It was super cute!  We walked through the trails, but had to be careful because a lot of them were slick with ice.  He showed us around, and taught us German as we walked.  We passed by a lot of people walking with pet wolves and pet farrots!  They were all on leashes.  It was hilarious.  The babies who are dressed in snow pants and hats and scarves look so cute!  I always want to take pictures of them, but feel too creepy.  Robert jokes around with me that Im like one of the babies because I cant get around on my own, or understand anything around me.  Its kind of true, but Im getting better  :)

I met a girl named Bella who is super sweet, is a vegetarian, and runs a lot... jackpot or what?!  I met up with her tonight for coffee after dinner.  Coffee is so big here, it´s always what you do to meet up with someone.  But Im trying really hard not to become a caffeine addict!

Funny story:  So Im with this Canadian named Colin, and hes speaking in German trying to describe to this Austrian what pumpkin pie is.  She had never heard of it.  He is describing the color, taste, texture, whatever.  When he doesnt know a word in German, he just says the word in English  with a German accent and hopes they understand it.  He said, "it´s kind of like.... mushy," and all of the Austrians start CRACKING UP.  We´re all confused, and ask them whats so funny.  Apparently the word for "vagina" is pronounced like "mushy."  We were laughing so hard!

Tomorrow we have our official orientation, after whch I´ll be able to set up an Austrian bank account. Ths will be very helpful, because then I can get an ATM card.  I have a credit card that is supposed to work internationally, but no one´s credit cards work.  Also, pretty much nowhere accepts credit cards.  Everything is cash only.  Only the fancy places and train stations accept credit cards for the most part.  So Im gettng used to carrying cash on me, and learning how to say numbers in German!  Gotta be able to count my change! 

Alright, thats all for now.  Sending all my love! 

A Glimpse Into the Mind of Lyndsey Pa...

No comments:

Post a Comment